Singapore is abuzz with excitement as Tharman Shanmugaratnam, an accomplished Indian-origin economist born and raised in the nation, emerges victorious in the presidential race with an astonishing 70% of the votes. In a tight three-way competition against two Chinese-origin contenders, Tharman’s resounding victory showcases the diverse and inclusive spirit of the nation.
- Tharman Shanmugaratnam secures an impressive 70% of the votes in the presidential race, defeating two Chinese-origin contenders.
- Born to a Tamil father and a Chinese mother, Tharman grew up bilingual and bicultural, mastering English, Tamil, Malay, and Mandarin.
- An academic achiever, Tharman obtained degrees from prestigious institutions such as the London School of Economics, University of Cambridge, and Harvard University.
- He played a crucial role in guiding Singapore through the global financial crisis of 2008 and held prominent positions in organizations like the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and Government of Singapore Investment Corp (GIC).
- Tharman’s political journey started in 2001 with the People’s Action Party (PAP), and he held various ministerial portfolios before becoming Deputy Prime Minister in 2011.
- He chaired significant international committees and forums, contributing to global economic and social policies.
- Tharman’s vision emphasizes social cohesion, racial harmony, and meritocracy, reflecting his dedication to Singapore’s progress.
- Fluent in four languages, Tharman is known for his humility, charisma, and passion for activities like reading, cycling, and chess.
The Remarkable Life Story:
Tharman’s life story is a captivating tale of multicultural upbringing and academic brilliance. Born on February 25, 1957, in Singapore, he embodies the rich blend of Indian and Chinese cultures. His father, Kanagaratnam Shanmugaratnam, a renowned pathologist and cancer researcher, and his Chinese mother created an environment where Tharman grew up embracing both heritages.
Academic Excellence and Economic Expertise:
Tharman’s academic journey took him to prestigious institutions around the world. With degrees in economics from the London School of Economics, the University of Cambridge, and a master’s in public administration from Harvard University, he honed his skills and knowledge. His exceptional economic expertise led him to pivotal roles in Singapore’s financial institutions.
Political and International Influence:
Entering politics in 2001 with the People’s Action Party (PAP), Tharman’s career trajectory was remarkable. Serving in key ministerial positions and even becoming Deputy Prime Minister, his impact extended beyond Singapore’s borders. As the chairman of the International Monetary and Financial Committee (IMFC), he contributed to global economic stability.
A Vision for Progress:
Tharman’s values reflect his commitment to an inclusive society. With a focus on unity, racial harmony, and merit-based opportunities, he envisions a stronger future for Singapore. His admiration for India’s diversity, democracy, and development underpins his approach to governance.
Tharman Shanmugaratnam’s election as the first Indian-origin president of Singapore marks a historic moment. His accomplishments, leadership, and dedication inspire individuals across Singapore and Asia. Tharman’s victory signifies the nation’s embrace of diversity and excellence.