On its 74th foundation day, the Indian Army on Saturday unveiled its new combat uniform at the ‘Army Day’ parade in New Delhi.
The new uniform has been designed by the National Institute of Fashion Technology in partnership with the Indian Army.
Like most army combat uniforms, this one has been designed to serve two requirements: First, protection against harsh climatic conditions, including extreme heat and cold. Second, the need to provide soldiers’ outfits with field camouflage, so as to increase his battlefield survivability.
The new uniform, which replaces the force’s decades-old combat fatigues, features a digital camouflage pattern, similar to the one used by the British Army. It is likely to be introduced in the Indian Army by August this year.
Same colour percentage as earlier
The new uniform will maintain the same colour percentage as in the present uniform, which is a mix of colours and shades, including olive and earthen.
The trousers will have additional pockets for the ease of the soldier. The material chosen for the cloth is meant to be “lighter but sturdier” and suitable for both summer and winter.
Also, the shoulder stripes — denoting rank — could be moved to the front buttons, a pattern followed by other major armies as well.
Here’s all you need to know about the new combat uniform of the Indian Army:
- The new uniform has been designed to serve two purposes–Protection against harsh climatic conditions, and to provide soldiers’ outfits with field camouflage, to increase survivability.
- The new Army Combat Pattern Uniform has been developed with the help of the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) after going through options of 15 patterns, eight designs, and four fabrics.
- The Army’s uniform is made of a combination of cotton and polyester in a ratio of 70:30.
- The fabric of the Indian Army’s new uniform will be lightweight and will dry quickly, thus will be more comfortable for the troops during the operation.
- The new uniform will be much more durable as well as comfortable in both summers and winters.
- The uniforms, which will feature a mix of colours including olive and earthen, have been designed taking into considerations aspects like areas of deployment of the troops and climatic conditions in which they operate.
- It is learned that the new combat uniform has been finalised after wide-ranging discussions and analysis of military uniforms of several countries.
Army Day 2022: Commandos of the Parachute Regiment were dressed in the new battle fatigues as they marched at the parade ground in Delhi Cantt.
News agency ANI shared a clip of the commandos marching in the army’s new combat fatigues.
“Indian Army’s Parachute Regiment commandos marching during the Army Day Parade in the new digital combat uniform of the Indian Army. This is the first time that the uniform has been unveiled in public,” captioned ANI.