Firozpur is a city on the banks of the Sutlej River in Firozpur District, Punjab, India, founded by Sultan Firoz Shah Tughlaq (1309–88), a Muslim ruler of the Tughlaq Dynasty who reigned over the Sultanate of Delhi from 1351 to 1388. The Manj Rajputs say the town was named after their chief, a Rajput of the Bhatti clan called Feroze Khan, in the middle of the 16th century. Firozpur is called ‘Shaheedon ki dharti’ (the land of martyrs). Ferozpur today is a transportation and administration center and an ancient city. It is a border town on the Indo-Pakistan border with memorials of India's freedom fighters.
Firozpur also holds a historic place in Indian history as it was there that British Raj established control over much of North-West India as well as what is now Pakistan through the Anglo-Sikh Wars that were fought in this region. Today it is the headquarters of a brigade of the Northern Corps of the Indian Army. Shaheed Bhagat Singh College of Engineering and Technology is located at Moga road in Firozpur. It is a government Engg. College and has an excellent reputation. Firozpur Cantonment is adjacent to and south of the city; during British times it was one of the largest cantonments in the country.